Whatever your reason may be, downsizing (to a smaller home) can help save money and offer the gift of a more manageable lifestyle. True, it can be a challenge. After many years, clutter, furniture and possessions can build up. Getting rid of old things can be time-consuming and emotionally difficult. Having a plan and taking your time can help.
Start Early, With a Plan
Depending on the size of your home, downsizing may take a while to complete. If you have the luxury of time, creating a one-year plan can help make the task manageable and gives you time to do it right. Regardless, make a timeline, establish milestones, and set deadlines to prevent your plan from becoming overwhelming.
Many homeowners downsize room by room, starting first at one end of the house and finishing at the other. When making your plan, remember to include out-of-the-way places like storage closets, the attic, the shed and the garage. If you have holiday decorations, go through the decorations each season they’re in use. Throwing away or giving away items as you get them out from storage is an efficient use of time.
Explore Many Options
There are many ways to get rid of old things. Take the time to explore your options to make downsizing from a beautiful Tahoe home easier and more effective. Some ways to get rid of your old things include:
- Hold a garage sale. A garage sale is a good option for people who have a lot of old useable items, and for people who want to make a little money before buying a new property.
- Give to charity. Old sheets, blankets, food, dishes, paint, cleaning products, clothes, shoes, toys, and books are all examples of items that people donate to charity when downsizing their home. We can help guide you to various organizations to help with your donations, etc.
- Recycle. Rather than throwing away your old items, recycle what you can to avoid filling landfills.
- Rent a dumpster. A dumpster is a practical option for homeowners who have a lot to throw away and want to purge it all at once.
- Family gifts. Of course, some might have a hard time selling or throwing away certain sentimental items. Giving to the family is a good way to keep sentimental items close without keeping them in the home. Passing down old mementos creates family heirlooms and can make downsizing possible.
Get Help from Family and Friends
In addition to being time-consuming and emotionally difficult, selling and downsizing a home is also hard work. To avoid injuries and to make the time go faster, get help from family and friends whenever possible. This is an especially important step for seniors. Ask for help from a variety of people to avoid placing a burden on anyone’s shoulders.
Learn to Let Go
One of the hardest things about downsizing is learning to let go. Give yourself enough time to sort through feelings during the downsizing project to make letting go easier. Taking pictures of items before selling or giving away objects can help as well. Many people start the downsizing process with a reluctance to get rid of things, only to adjust partway through. Purging becomes easier after you’ve done it a few times, so plan to double back at the end of your project and sort through old things that were sorted at the beginning.
We understand that moving to a new home can be stressful. Add that to the fact that you will be downsizing your home, and especially high levels of stress can occur. If you find yourself experiencing large amounts of stress, it will benefit you to think of why you wanted to move into a smaller home to begin with. Take a deep breath and go through the tips listed above and also make a checklist. This will help you come to terms with your possessions, and have more control going forward. There are several financial and lifestyle benefits that come with downsizing your home. One great benefit is there is less area to clean and maintain! Your utility bills often are lower too, because it requires less energy to heat and cool a smaller home. Mortgage payments, property taxes, and homeowner’s insurance premiums also may be lower. Together, we’ll get your beautiful Tahoe home ready to sell and get you into the next chapter of your lives. Call today and let’s get started.